I lost my old account details from more than a year and a half ago, so I have a new account there. Since it’s got that new fangled social networking thing going, here’s where you can choose to add me as a ‘friend’.
The way it works is that the most popular songs on the site cost something like 98¢ while songs that have just been added to the site are free. If I’d been in the US, Whitesnake’s latest album Good to be Bad would’ve been free. Ah, well. Here are the albums I got:
- Crazy World – Joe Savini
- Gangrene – Gangrene
- self titled – censored
- There’s something about Huckleberry’s music in Derail and Tragicomic that makes me miss Trichy loads. Sadly both those albums were only released to the US.
- I already have Us Against The Crown from State Radio, which is one awesome rock/reggae band.
While I’m talking in disjoint sentences like this I might as well mention the other music that’s caught my attention lately:
- Din Din Wo – Habib Koité and Bamada
If anyone sees a place I can buy Muso Ko, let me know. I suddenly have a thing for Malian music. It came with Vista along with a bunch of other songs.
- Blue Öyster Cult – I’m crazy about this band’s music. Especially Astronomy, Burning for you, Joan Crawford and the old favourite (Don’t Fear) The Reaper.
A while ago, I was considering buying an HP laptop while grumbling about how hard it would be to carry around. Soon after that, I ordered a Dell XPS M1330 because for the size there just didn’t seem to be anything in the range that would get you discrete graphics at that price. In any case, they delivered it today, some 4 days outside the 8 business day promise they gave and some two weeks after the date originally on their website (8th April).
I’m real happy with what I got. Vista isn’t very good, there are times when even 3GB of RAM and the GeForce 8400M GS make the closing animation sluggish when running only one or two programs. That and I hate the way the screen flickers dark when UAC comes up. That flicker is really annoying. But over all, everything looks great, the screen is bright and clear and Vista’s font smoothing is really nice. The laptop itself is nice and light and has enough ports for me to be happy :)
My changes to the base model:
- An upgrade to the T8300 2.4Ghz processor. It was cheap.
- An upgrade (in my view) to a 7200 rpm hard drive that stores 80GB less.
- Discrete Graphics: 128 MB GeForce 8400M GS. It also does that shared memory thing.
- The Intel 4965 AGN wireless card.
Maybe I should’ve chosen an extra gigabyte of RAM instead of the processor. Nevermind, it should be easy to do, and I remember I used to get along just fine with just 1GB on my previous laptop. Still, the one thing I really miss getting is the WLED screen that everybody’s just raving about. Maybe in a few years :)